Editor’s picks: 6 things to do this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Explore Yorkshire’s Secret Garden movie location - and more things to do this weekend
Movie time: Filmed in Yorkshire, The Secret Garden comes to your TV this weekend, what could be nice than immersing yourself in this sweet story with Helmsley Walled Garden as its backdrop and Colin Firth and Julie Walters among its cast? On Sky and in cinemas now.
Location spotting: where The Secret Garden was filmed
Get bookish: If you’re missing your literary festival fix, the top notch Raworths Harrogate Literature Festival is online this weekend with some brilliant authors and speakers. Among them Matt Haig, Ken Follet, Jeremy Vine, Simon Mayo Rory Bemner , Loyd Grossman, Alexandra Shulman, Lee Child and more. Crime writing fans will love Theakston Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival’s curated a programme.
Spook out: Bolton Castle, near Leyburn, gets spooky from Saturday a trail around the castle courtyard catching up with characters from its history; the creepy witches, the rats and bats, the headless man, and the pumpkins. Come already dressed in your Halloween outfit! Events are on all week and are Covid-safe.
Slingsby has created a nice cocktail for grown ups to celebrate Halloween - Gooseberry Halloween Punch
1 Part Gooseberry Gin
- 1 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 2 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 3 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 4 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 5 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 6 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 7 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 8 Yorkshire Wolds walk - Thixendale to Hanging Grimston
- 9 Steph McGovern on her new lunchtime show, Steph’s Packed Lunch
- 10 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
1 Part Cloudy Apple Juice
½ Part Lime Juice
¼ Elderflower Cordial
Garnish with mint leaves, sliced cucumber and white grapes.
Take a stroll - it’s great time to visit abundant orchards and gardens bursting with autumn colours... here’s where
Sit back and enjoy
The latest edition of Yorkshire Life is out now – a chunky 252 pages of gorgeous Yorkshire – from the Brownlee Brothers sharing their favourite places, to 17 stunning views and landscapes to enjoy from the comfort of your favourite chair. Perfect weekend reading